Sr. Reinsurance Accountant
The Senior Reinsurance Accountant (“Accountant”) is responsible for administering and recording all reinsurance transactions associated with captives and segregated cell portfolios, including assumed, ceded and retroceded contracts. The Accountant will work with the reinsurance department and establish contract parameters in the reinsurance systems and Excel worksheets. Responsible for preparation of quarterly captive management statements, identifying, calculating, billing and collecting reinsurance recoveries and collateral balances as well as preparing monthly bordereaus and journal entries. The Accountant is also responsible for testing and implementing reinsurance system enhancements. Reports to the Controller.
- Responsible for all phases of reinsurance accounting, reporting and controls related ceded premium and losses.
- Performs account reconciliations, and recoverable aging and collection analysis.
- Reviews ceded and assumed bordereaux for reasonableness and accuracy.
- Calculates and monitors attachment points and aggregates for all contracts.
- Liaises with Actuarial to ensure accurate reinsurance impact on loss reserving.
- Liaises with external auditors with respect to reinsurance issues
- Liaises with captive managers with respect to reinsurance reporting and financial statement preparation.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have a thorough understanding of reinsurance transaction concepts and accounting principles.
- Must have advanced level Excel worksheet skills
- Requires strong analytical skills and the ability to identify issues and use technical knowledge to solve problems.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote control and efficiencies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent research and investigation skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail with excellent organizational and prioritization skills.
- High degree of professional integrity.
- Must have strong interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with all levels of internal and external business partners.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from accredited four-year college or university preferred. Three – five years of accounting/finance experience in the insurance industry required. Prior reinsurance accounting experience a plus. Public accounting/auditing experience a plus.
Computer Skills: Strong working knowledge of Excel, Word, and proven ability with accounting software programs.